Saturday 22 June 2013

I Will Not Say Do Not Weep

I'm a Tolkien fan.  I have been a Tolkien fan for many years.  My Year 8 English teacher gave me a copy of 'The Hobbit' to read and thus began a lifelong love affair with the writings of JRR Tolkien.  I now have quite a substantial collection of books and memorabilia.  It has always been a literary obsession for me, I love reading Tolkien's work.  I am a hoarder though so I have everything from a cigarette lighter from 'The Eagle and Child' where Tolkien used to drink, right through to a limited edition replica of Anduril, Aragorn's sword from the LOTR movies.

Books, books and more books.  I have hundreds of them, I have all sorts of stuff that people started to give me when the LOTR movies came out as well, that was when it became really tricky to be Tolkien collector.  You had to be discerning on just what to procure, you could easily spend your time loading up your collection with, well rubbish.  And of course now 'The Hobbit' is becoming its own marketing phenomenon with the release of those movies happening right now.

You might think that the title of this post is a bit weird.  It is in fact a line from right near the end of the Lord of the Rings.  In a moment of final farewell, when there is genuine sadness and friends are being forever sundered Gandalf says to the assembled group, 'I will not say 'do not weep', for not all tears are an evil.'  I'm not suggesting for a moment that people will be sad to see us go off on our wonderful trek  across Spain to Santiago de Compostela, or indeed miss us so desperately, however there is some sadness in leaving home, family and friends for a long time.

The thought is worth pondering I reckon.  Imagine what it must have been like a thousand years ago when people left to take the pilgrim road to Santiago.  Their families would have no idea whether or not they would see them again.  The journey was dangerous, the road was long, communication was virtually non-existant.  There would have been real tears.  But not all tears are an evil, sometimes even now I get a bit teary when I think of just what a remarkable thing it is to take my children on such an amazing adventure, I mist up when I consider that for the immediate future I have the great pleasure of just 'being' with my little family, my wife and kids.  A sentimentalist perhaps.

And then the planets align.

Last night when we had friends around for a BBQ to watch the British and Irish Lions play the Wallabies we were given a little going away card.



Not all who wander are lost.  Another cracking line from JRRT.  And what a beautiful image.  There is real joy for me in that moment, there is real depth in the idea of wandering with intent, of being present in nature and just soaking up something really special.

The idea of going on a pilgrimage, of walking the Camino, of strolling through the Spanish countryside is truly breathtaking.  The sense of stillness, of awe that I get looking at the gent in that image above sits with me now as we make our final preparations to fly out to Spain in less than 10 days.  Oh its hectic right now, but I think we are moving towards something wonderful.

I'll conclude today with some extended text from the very last pages of The Lord of the Rings.  I have just read it again and it is beautiful, it speaks of a journey over the seas, through the mist to the undying lands.  Heaven perhaps.

'Yes,' said Gandalf; 'for it will be better to ride back three together than one alone.  Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth.  Go in peace!  I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.'
Then Frodo kissed Merry and Pippin, and last of all Sam, and went aboard; and the sails were drawn up , and the wind blew, and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost.  And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water.  And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.'

Buen Camino Peregrinos

No comments:

Post a Comment